Hospitality & Catering
Meet the Team.
|Miss L Arnold||Teacher of Catering/Health and Social Care/PE at Head of Life|
The hospitality and catering sector includes all businesses that provide food, beverages, and/or accommodation services. This includes restaurants, hotels, pubs and bars. It also includes airlines, tourist attractions, hospitals and sports venues; businesses where hospitality and catering is not their primary service but is increasingly important to their success. According to the British Hospitality Association, hospitality and catering is Britain’s fourth largest industry and accounts for around 10% of the total workforce. Since 2010, over 25% of all new jobs have been within the hospitality and catering sector with the majority of new roles falling within the 18-24 age group, according to a report by People 1st.
We believe that pupils deserve a broad and varied Design and Technology curriculum, throughout the Food, Hospitality and Catering strand we want students to develop their practical skills alongside relevant knowledge. Our curriculum will provide basic life skills that will hopefully foster a further interest in this area. Our Design and Technology curriculum will give pupils the opportunity to:
• study variety of different cooking methods and learn the nutritional impact of each one
• understand a variety of nutrients and their effects on the individual
• experiment with ingredients and techniques they are unfamiliar with
• create a vast amount of dishes to demonstrate their skills in both savoury and sweet recipes
• analyse the various styles of hospitality and catering styles and establishments
• evaluate their own and others practical skills
• learn how to develop menus that take into account customer needs
• develop an understanding of how environmental issues impact his sector
• develop an understanding of a varied range of job roles and responsibilities within the sector